Résumé – P.J. Onoripj@pjonori.com
Design Manager, Design Systems team, PinterestEmployed Jan 2020 – Present
Led the transition of the team to be a fully-staffed, cross-functional design systems practice.
- Doubled the team's size from 2020 to 2021 and shifted the team's focus/skillset to be exclusively centered on design systems
- Developed a multi-year vision/roadmap for growing the systems practice at Pinterest
- Led the effort to shift Gestalt from functioning primarily as a UI framework to Pinterest's design system
- Acted as product owner which included responsibilities of defining/tracking OKRs, developing baseline KPIs to define success and developing yearly roadmaps to meet stakeholder needs
- Oversaw growth of the system with substantial gains in adoption as well as NPS scores in nearly every category measured
- Expanded the influence and scope of Gestalt to extend support to mobile platforms starting in 2022
Lead Product Designer, PinterestEmployed Apr 2019 – Jan 2020
Acted as lead designer in Pinterest's internal design system, design tooling and infrastructure initiatives.
- Led the design and supported the implementation of Dark Mode for the company's iOS and Android apps
- Defined and facilitated the implementation of design tokens within the system
- Developed internal tooling through Figma plugins and web apps to operationalize / automate key manual design workflows
- Developed processes within the team to enable measurement of team velocity and provided the ability for the team to accurately forecast team throughput
Principal Designer, Disney Streaming ServicesEmployed Apr 2017 – Apr 2019
- Leading the design effort for Disney Streaming Services' platform tool suite
- Initiated and currently leading the creation of Disney Streaming Services' platform design system
Design-Driven Product Manager, InVisionEmployed Dec 2015 – Dec 2016
- Managed the initial launch of InVision LABS/Craft.
- Led InVision’s Inspect and Craft Sync initiatives.
- Product definition, KPIs, prioritization and roadmap creation.
- Communication/coordination with all business/operational stakeholders.
- Management and involvement in the design effort for Inspect and Craft Sync.
- Definition of business/functional acceptance criteria for engineering tickets.
- Validation research for Inspect and Craft Sync in the form of customer interviews, creation of surveys and quantitative analysis.
- Planning, creation and management of all customer communication through the Inspect and Craft Sync beta programs prior to our hiring of a product marketing manager.
- Occasional coding when resources are thin.
Partner & Director of Design Technology, WayburyEmployed Mar 2013 – Nov 2015
Worked on a range of consulting projects ranging from focused UX to interface design to iconography. Clients include: OpenTable, Twitter, Splunk, Intuit and Mulesoft. In addition, worked with the Waybury team to produce Iconic (https://useiconic.com/) and Relay (https://relay.io). Waybury was acquired by InVision in December 2015.
Consultant, Independent UX/Technology ConsultancyEmployed Mar 2012 – Mar 2013
Assisted clients such as HOT Studio, Splunk and General Electric with problems ranging from pure user experience to technology-related challenges.
Design Technologist, Adaptive PathEmployed Mar 2010 – Aug 2011
Served in several capacities in the experience design process - from prototyping to design strategy to facilitating workshops (and everything in between). Worked for organizations such as the United Nations, Samsung and Adobe.
Design Technologist, Independent ConsultancyEmployed Jun 2007 – Mar 2010
Worked as a design technology consultant to handle projects that demand visual/interactive design along with technical strategy and development.
Recent projects I have been a part of are Patrón Tequila (patrontequila.com), Horizon Dairy (horizondairy.com), Stanlee Gatti's website (stanleegatti.com), internal kiosk applications and Current.com's Viewpoints experience (now offline).
I have done work for companies such as Current TV, Adaptive Path, Hearst Corporation and Mekanism.
Senior Design Technologist, MethodEmployed Nov 2006 – Jun 2007
Acted as the senior design technologist, responsible for development of various Actionscript 2 and Actionscript 3 applications.
Projects of interest were The Apartment's Flex-based Wordpress blog and TED.com's video player.
Web Designer, Current TVEmployed May 2006 – Nov 2006
Acted as the lead front-end developer for Current TV's second generation website and video player from inception to launch.